UNYA's 2-Spirit Collective provides support, resources, and programming for Indigenous youth, ages 15 to 30, who identify as 2-spirit or LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, gender non-conforming, along with many other identities), and for those who are questioning their sexual or gender identities.
The 2-Spirit Collective ensures that you have non-judgmental, supportive spaces to get together and explore your identities and what that mean to you. We do this through events, ceremony, workshops, and collaborations with other programs, both at UNYA and with other organizations in the community.
The 2-Spirit Collective also works with UNYA's other programs to make sure that we are creating positive, inviting space for all 2-Spirit and LGBTQ+ youth across UNYA’s 20+ programs and services.
We'll also be working to create 2-Spirit and LGBTQ+ resources for you to access in person at UNYA, and online, through our website and social media. These resources will provide information on topics such as housing, medical information, legal advocacy, community events, and updates on what's happening in the 2-Spirit and LGBTQ+ community.2-Spirit Collective Program Brochure (PDF)
- Workshops to educate, explore, and talk about gender identities, sexual orientations, gender expressions, and the fluidity of these labels
- Art projects where you can explore and express yourself through art – how the world views you, and how you view yourself
- Training and supporting interested youth to facilitate workshop, and develop skills, leadership abilities, and confidence.
- Ceremony, such as sweats and talking circles.
- Working with other programs within UNYA to promote a positive, inviting space for 2Spirit/LGBTQ+ youth accessing programs
- Collaborative programming with other programs within UNYA and in the broader community.
- Providing resources, from information regarding housing, haircuts, medical information (hormones, surgery, STI testing), legal advocacy, information on events, and updates on what is happening in the 2-Spirit/LGBTQ+ community.
How To Get Involved
Check out our online calendar for regular programming and activities with our 2-Spirit Collective. New programming, collaborations, events, and special outings happen often, so check back regularly!
You can also call or email our 2Spirit Youth Care Counsellor (contact info below) with any questions you might have, requests for resources, or ideas about things you’d like to see us do.
If you are a community organization or business interested in partnering with our 2-Spirit Collective on creating or sharing resources and opportunities for 2-Spirit/LGBTQ+ Indigenous youth, please get in touch!