Employment Opportunity – Accountant Part-Time
July 7, 2021
UNYA is looking for one Part-Time Accountant. This position provides accounting and related services to staff & The Board of Directors in a variety of areas including: processing bi-weekly payroll, processing weekly cheque requisitions, budget preparation, accounts receivable, month-end & year-end working papers, program contracts and reporting, special projects and other accounting-related matters. This position is for minimum 24 hours per week, scheduled to meet the needs of the organization. This position reports directly to the CEO of UNYA.
Qualifications and Conditions:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA) or working towards completion of your designation
- 5+ years of hands on experience of full-cycle
- Experience in the not-for profit sector a strong asset.
- Proficiency/advanced understanding of General Ledger, Excel, and Sage 50
- Knowledge and experience with the Ceridian Dayforce Payroll System is an asset
- Proven self-initiative and attention to detail, demonstrated excellent proficiency in diverse accounting responsibilities and fiscal accountability, and a strong commitment to professional client service excellence
- Must have a criminal record check completed by and satisfactory to UNYA
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensures financial recording accuracy and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and established internal controls and procedures
2. Analyzes, produces, and reconciles balance sheet accounts; makes adjustments as necessary
3. Monitors and analyzes cash flows, expenditures, journal and ledger entries, bank statements, account activities, and other accounting and financial records. Investigates and resolve unusual/questionable entries or account balances
4. Produces monthly, quarterly, and annual budgets and cash flow projections, financial statements, and other financial reports required by senior management, board of directors, regulatory bodies and funders
5. Prepares documentation for audit purposes and produces annual audit working papers
6. Makes recommendations with respect to the organization’s accounting practices, systems, and financial matters
7. Manage weekly bookkeeping functions including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll ensure accurate and appropriate recording of financial transactions
8. Supervise, monitor and provide guidance for tasks assigned to the accounting assistant
9. Ensure bi-weekly payroll is processed on time in the Dayforce system and produce manual checks as requested for any payroll discrepancies.
10. Manage and maintain employee records, compensation, benefits and entitlement balances in the Dayforce system
11. Enroll in any Dayforce training as necessary
12. Respond to staff and vendor inquiries
13. Administer employee extended benefits and insurance plans
14. Maintain a robust contracts management and financial management / reporting system: work with Program Managers to ensure that all financial, project/program and grants accounting is completed in a timely and accurate manner, and prepare financial reports for all funders
15. Perform financial analysis and schedule of financial statements
16. Prepare year end working papers for auditors and assist in annual audit; liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors; assess and implement any changes necessary
17. Submit statutory reporting (GST & WCB) in a timely and accurate manner
18. Update and implement all necessary accounting practices; assist in the ongoing analysis and improvement of overall financial policies and procedures; and effectively communicate a present critical financial matters to the Chief Executive Officer and Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
19. As required, perform other duties and special projects identified by the Chief Executive Officer as necessary to ensure the efficient and fiscally responsible operations of UNYA and its programs.
Compensation: $41,184.00-$44,928.00 plus access to competitive benefits package after 3 months
Potential start date: Approx. Mid August 2021
To apply: Submit a cover letter stating the position that you are applying for and a resume to the attention of the Hiring Manager via email at [email protected] Resumes will not be reviewed without a covering letter. No Enquiries. Only those short-listed will be contacted.
Closing date: When filled.